Saturday, April 20, 2013

One Year and Counting


 
All Hands on Deck,

 

 
I would like to start with the Sun Ray Paddle…we left Hudson at 6 a.m. and it was still quite dark…it was misty and the water was choppy…Samantha Ashley joined me…as we made our way down the coast we watched black clouds pass us to dump water onshore…as the sun broke the horizon and it gave the clouds a halo and the water was crystal clear…we had 2 different pods of dolphins come out to play with us…Sam was excited to see the horseshoe crabs…I saw a HUGE sea turtle…many different birds and fish were out and about…the houses so far off shore were so cool…we pulled up on Durney Key- this was funny…as we checked out shells, the birds checked us out…poor Sam had never been on a big paddle and her arms were VERY hurt, so I got her to the boat ramp next to the original ‘Hooters’…we totaled 8 miles…I am very proud of her- she showed up and did her best, I could not ask for more…We raised $10 for Sunrise of Pasco and $10 for Parks and Rec- Something is always better than nothing…Photos are posted and we both carried a mounted camera, so we will soon have video- Taylor is working on it now…I will let you know when it is posted…

 

Today is one year until the Sunshine Paddle…on April 1 the menu went back into effect- no soda or chocolate or baked goods:(…I have also started using the welso bike…it actually helps stretch me when I cannot get to the water…I also have the SOT (Sit On Top) trainer at home- one of my friends built this for me…the excitement is building...
 
 
Insight that I need to share…this sport is awesome…Sam had not paddled much before this trip…watching her took me back to a 5 lake paddle with Marty from meetup.com (the group set up be Greg Pflug)…OMG…how cool Marty was with me…lol…he and the other paddlers took time to show me what to do and how to do…as Sam learned, I thought about how far I had come and how much I had learned- How great so many people have been… it was then I thought about how many nights I had gone to bed with burning arms and the fact that now, I had paddled 8 miles in open water for the Sun Ray Paddle and was not even winded or hurting…how far my body has come…confidence is high:)

Carry On,

Your Captain and Girly Pirate

 


No comments:

Post a Comment