Monday, April 28, 2014

Oh so many thoughts…Gather the crew


 

Avast Me Hearties,

So much has happened this month…some is really weighing heavy on my heart and would really like your help with…we also have great news about the recently completed 25 Mile 2014 Paddle…

First this month was Gumbo Limbo the Sea Turtle Hospital…this is a really amazing place…it disturbs me greatly that US is #7 in the world for finning- this is so horrid, I will ask you to google the meaning…I also noted a number of turtles were being hurt due to be sucked into energy intakes…please tell me if we know this, why are there no grates over these intakes…our water tables are being hurt by the phosphate in the water being released from those same plants…again, why do we not put up forested pipes to clean the water before putting it back in system…lastly, if you live on the coast and have a porch light- PLEASE use yellow, green, amber or blue bulbs…it makes a difference to all of the costal creatures…please ask your representatives for help, these very small things will make a BIG difference…

My next stop was the Dolphin Research Center…did you know Dolphins and Orca are cousins…many animals for a holy host of reasons cannot be released and much like a handi-capable child, they need special homes…they are treated like family and loved- this is HIGHLY visible…this is a place that works with special needs children- OMG touches you heart to watch...to see the trainers just hanging out with the dolphins was so cool…the babies chatted with me swam around for me…there is one who enjoys ‘people watching’ so much that the trainers have to keep SPF on him…if you get to Grassy Key it is well worth the stop...did you know one adult dolphin eat 60 pounds of restaurant quality fish per day

Because I am the Girly Pirate, I get to go behind the scenes…I am not a major celebrity so people act naturally around me…currently there is a horrid move about orca running about…let me speak on a few things of what I observe…all of these places I have been are VERY clean…animals are well fed with top quality food…the are usually happy...as with every animal, a nose may get bent out of shape from time to time…when this does happen BAD things can happen as these are big animals (like a cow or horse or elephant)…the people who work there keep safety a priority…did you know cows kill 6 times the amount of humans as sharks do…that being said why does Discovery not have a ‘cow week’…because of money and ratings…the movie was made to provoke people and make money- not to help the animals…Dawn is looking down from heaven crying- these people used her death to hurt the animals she loved…her poor family has to see all this crapp in the news…I plead with you to ‘Blacklist Blackfish’...

The best for last…I MADE IT ALL 25 MILES!!!!! I left from Hudson Beach at 6 am and arrived at Anclote River Park at 2pm…Sunshine Paddle 2014 is complete…The Helping Hands Food Bank and Sunrise of Pasco Shelter will each get a check for $150…Applebees of Wesley Chapel gave a few gift certificates for workers…we also had an anonymous donor give a brand new piece of baby furniture for the shelter…when I launched it was really crappy weather so I had the water to myself…it is hard to explain how beautiful and amazing the trip was…I got to play with dolphins and 2 notch met up with me along the route…they were all quite encouraging…as I saw Walter waiting onshore…the feeling that was left in my heart is ‘peace be with you’…

Carry On,

Captain D

The Girly Pirate
 

No comments:

Post a Comment