Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Paddle 2015


 
It started like any other big paddle…the two weeks before, everything that could go wrong did and then some…my husband had to work so, my receptionist would see me off…the forecast called for crappy weather…many were counting on me so I had to at least try
 


When we got to Hudson Beach…the sky was black and clear…the water was smooth as glass…I told Dale, if I got past the rocks, I would complete the paddle…once I shoved off, I knew my next stop was Durney Key
 


I passed the rocks and headed for open water…it was high tide and though the water was like glass, it seemed to have quite a bit of movement…the dawn broke behind me and I was treated to a special surprise- 3 different views of the same sunrise…this was really amazing…it is here a pod of about 15 dolphins started swimming with me…the babies were so cute...I was in awe of how close the momma dolphins allowed them to get to me...
 


Suddenly, the waves began to build…I started to paddle hard for Durney key…the clouds were getting lower and lower…it was here the strap for my seat broke…problem: if I lean back even slightly, it would push the seat back into my milk crate and push it off the boat…the power equivalent of one stroke was now 10 strokes…Durney Key was now in sight


It was still not raining when I got to the Island…walking around to eat my sandwich, I saw a horseshoe crab and sea turtle…calling Dale, I found out it was already raining on land…at this point any shore point was going to take just as long and the dolphins had been good company so, I told Dale that I would continue…I tried to fix the seat to no avail and I shoved off
 


Dale was so worried, he tried to keep an eye on my from land…the rollers were picking up and unhooked part of the milk crate…so I was now trying to paddle while holding onto gear…my back screamed in pain…the dolphins would come and balance me so I could arch my back…amazing creatures…



Dale was waiting on the shore and got me to the truck as the rain came down…my sugar began to crash so, he stopped and got me baby food bananas…it was late when I got to the house and my poor husband was worried as it had been raining on land all day…he brought me in the house and took care of me…my arms and back hurt so bad…to make our community a better place, it is worth it…another year with another successful paddle:)

The Girly Pirate


No comments:

Post a Comment