Thursday, April 19, 2012

26 days until launch


Ahoy Mate,

26 days until launch…everything that can go wrong is…lol…

Why do I laugh?
It is not problems that make or break you, nor do they tell who you are as a person…it is how you approach the handling of them…never let them take your ability to laugh, use it and the worst situation becomes manageable

My emotions are like a perfect storm…I am excited- this trip will be epic (good or bad)…I am sad to leave my family and friends- I will miss them…I will be overjoyed to see my granddaughter (Lindsey, 8) and my niece (Abigail, under a year)- it will be my first time to hold either one…I will get to meet my new son in-law for the first time (Matt)…worried over the folks and Walter- I am leaving Dale behind to care for them, but he is not me…stressed about doing school while on the paddle- at least it will be subjects I am familiar with…I could go on, but you get the picture…
I passed my boater requirement test with an 97%...I have posted all over the internet in hopes of finding other paddlers to paddle their area with me…though I do not mind the solitude of being solo, it is nice to meet new friends:)…the tech people in my life have been helping me learn all the new gizmos…all this stuff is not new to most, but I have not owned a cell phone for 3 years- I did not even know how to text…lol…Thank You Marilyn for being so patient- her husband Steve is sweet and puts up with my many phone calls…the vehicles’ need tires…I found the truck tires- still looking for a topper, we can use tarp but a topper would be nice…still working on the camper- could use an extra rim, 10 inch…a BIG Thank you to Harold and Walter for getting the lights done on Wilma and Betty…Dennis has been great help with my SPOT tracker…Mary Rowell of Maine donated a printer with extra ink- how very cool…I have been practicing at Anclote and Hudson as they are both close and there is much to be done…packing, packing and repacking- in my anal heart I know this will happen a few more times…do you know how much stuff we need or how much room it takes???

I have called every state, checked back in with everyone we had already…some places went under so we have had to adjust the route and I am sure as we go along we will need to adjust it again…fingers crossed it will not be by much…we are preparing for the worst and hoping for the best…a trip like this takes planning, training and communication…it makes my hear sing to see how many people are pitching in to help…

This whole trip is run on donation…most of our equipment is old and used, to me this is a beautiful thing…these items may not be worth much money, but they are gold to us and have been given new life…our safety equipment is brand new and works well…this was done with Monetary Contributions from- Matt Le Hann, Mary Irving- Fantucchio, Tim O’Hara, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Cooper…we are now working on money for gas and food…all donations help…gift cards, quarters, dimes- it all helps…I am also looking for Velcro- please check your draws and cupboards’…



We appreciate your support in this endeavor:)


Thank you,


Captain D



No comments:

Post a Comment