Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Overcoming Obstacles


Thank you so much for asking…I am starting to feel better…we knew the first attempt was going to be epic…too bad it was an epic fail…lol…like the Phoenix we will rise from the ashes…Sometimes bad shiz happens…epic fails- divorce, job loss, planned things go to hell, etc…it is not the bad things that tell people who we are, but how we handle them…believe me, doing the right thing is never the easy thing…

Lessons Learned from First Attempt (Good and Bad)

1)    I will leave a week early next year- to a quiet place with no TV/ Computer/ Phone. At that time, I need to put all focus on the paddle…my safety depends on it. Distractions almost cost my life this time- though many people meant well, they left me a nervous wreck…their concern almost killed me literally…

2)    Girly Pirate Camping consists of at least a cheap hotel…though the campsite and park (Anastasia) were quite beautiful and the staff was impeccable…this Girly Pirate requires a shower with hot water and a toilet with toilet paper in the room…I am aware that from time to time I will need to camp, but only when necessary

3)    Though I was honestly shocked and surprised by how accurate the information was that I had found on the internet and I was also given good information-but, there is nothing like checking it out myself…a few very important pieces of info were missing…a proper float plan must have all possible information-there is no such thing as being too aware

4)    This will give Debby time for proper training…I was impressed at how she jumped into the role of the driver- this job has a lot of tedious responsibilities…she is picking up the computer role…I hope to have her active with a camera soon…

5)      We over prepared- we had everything we could need or ask for…the next time we will not carry so much…weight among the vehicles is something to consider…room to move is a thought also

6)    Though I started on the Intercoastal, I went to the Atlantic at the first available inlet…The Lady Blue Horizon cut the water like a knife thru butter and stayed completely water tight…I admit I was nervous about her first time in the 8-12 foot breakers…she handled just as easily as she had on calm water…heading into the Intercoastal as the Man of War jellyfish became to plentiful…the Intercoastal is beautiful, but offers little in the way of shade or places to pull off to take a break



Lessons learned…bad things happen…evaluate what happened…find your obstacles…then find out how to overcome them or if they are worth overcoming…do not give up on your goal…



Avast and Good Day Me Hardies,



Captain D  


No comments:

Post a Comment