Monday, April 24, 2017

2017 The Kayak, The Woman and The Gulf of Mexico



The Sea Story

I was sure someone would go with me…I had not got an mp3 as I was just positive…out of 6 who tried…none were able to make it…I transformed the kayak from a double to a single…on my way out, I stopped at Walmart to at least get a small sport radio but, they were sold out…at this point I accepted my fate, I was going to be alone on the water for hours with no music…the weather lady call for sunshine and smooth sailing – how bad could it be???



We got to the launch…the last time I went alone was on Yum Yum, Shamrock’s Avenger is a solid 3’ longer…I kissed my husband good-bye…considering Shamrock’s Avenger was made to carry 2 people, I was surprised how easy it was to fall in rhythm and handle…WTG Ocean Kayak…



There was a lot of movement in the water this year…not much time to take pictures, had to keep paddling…Tide was mostly in and the water was clear and around 75f…the paddocks was clam but, moving water…from nowhere the wind kicked up, with no rudder I skipped across the water and into the gulf…there was nothing to do but, paddle…some swells were 2-3 feet…I wonder if the weather lady’s ears were burning…made me think about how wore out I have been feeling the last few month – twice the work and half the distance or at least that is how it has been feeling…before long I could see the houses in the water



When I reach the houses, I know Durney Key is not far…my muscles SCREAM…even drinking water I felt dehydrated…the Key is kind of like faith…even though I cannot see it, I know it is there…the Key comes into view and I thanked every higher power known to man…on the leeward side of the Island, I stopped for a break…ham, mustard and cheese…chips, fruit pieces…Kool-Aid…I called my husband and Skyped with Chris Bilton – had to drop a little Florida sun in Rotherham…The clear glass looking fish were fun to watch


The wind died down a bit…off I went, Anclote was not far now…when I passed by the houses a playful dolphin found me…it was playing and kept jumping over my kayak…at first this seemed cool but, I was worried it would flip me…the dolphin stopped as my friend 2 notch the manatee came to swim with me…I had not seen her much this winter so, it was nice to visit with her



Going down the inlet the wind picked back up and again I was skipping across the water…only this time I was being pushed home…I could see my husband on shore – a great site, I hurt so bad…I was happy to be done…the goal achieved and off to the 50s diner on US19


I am currently collecting donations…I did not get as many this year due to being overwhelmingly busy getting through my dissertation and working…they will be split between the Helping Hands and Sunrise of Pasco…One should continue to think of others even when one is busy… I guess the lessons for me were the blessings of this years paddle

Captain D
The Girly Pirate

No comments:

Post a Comment