Saturday, October 6, 2012

Good Bye Yum Yum


Ahoy,

 

When I chose to set on the path of the Sunshine Paddle, my friend volunteered the loan of her Kayak…she felt because it was small and had no tracking, I would either give up or really build the muscles I needed to do what I was planning…

I named her Yum Yum after Yum Yum Yellow- the color she was…maybe all the adventures turned me onto are what got my kayaking addiction rolling…as a boat she may not be huge, but she and I have gone 10 miles into the gulf of Mexico, not on purpose- no I do not recommend it, and she brought me back safe
 

I woke to a raining morning and drug my husband out of bed…the truck was loaded and off we went…just before we got to the beach, the rain cleared and sun came out…I got her in the water as dawn broke and I was facing low tide…I did not care…I would have faced rain or even the Cracken to be able to take her one last time…she jumped along the top of the water…her low draft would let me paddle through a puddle…my husband watched from shore as we became a spec in the distance…as we went out into the gulf, she parted the water…2 notch the manatee found me…I remember the first time she tapped the boat…I think she is headed up to Crystal River…she looked happy to see me and swam beside me until I headed for shore…Yum Yum seemed sad to be headed in and so was I…

Tomorrow, I will return her…I am ever so thankful for the time she was allowed to be in my care…I feel very special to have been entrusted with her

She will be missed

Captain D
 

No comments:

Post a Comment