Monday, October 29, 2012

Responsibility is Not a Dirty Word


Ahoy,

I have been a busy Girly Pirate…opportunities have presented themselves to have me in the water- and you know I am not complaining:)
 
A friend called me at 5 am and asked if I would tandem with them off Dunedin Causeway…it was a foggy, damp morning…we were on the water by 630…as we paddled through the Smith Islands, I found Fred…I was so happy to see him…I did not have my camera, but she had her cell…the picture is not great- he is much cuter in person…

I got home late that morning to a death threat because I feel that Anclote River Park should be a no wake zone… children and animals are omnipresent in this area- I helped save a dolphin and watch one be saved from the swim area...if you are a good boater or want to ride the jet ski go out to the channel where you will do no damage...these are not my children or my animals...it just means I look out for others...to drive slow for less than a quarter mile should be no big deal...if it is you are a sad person
 
My husband was so kind as to take me to Hudson Beach for his birthday and let me paddle…it was the first time in a while that I had been on water in the afternoon…birds, jumping mullet and dolphins seemed to be everywhere…it was fun to see 2 Notch…I seem to paddle much father when she swims with me…she was headed to Crystal River…when I came in, he and I went to Sam’s on the beach…Good food, but the menu itself was limited…good service…kind of pricey- though anyplace on the water is, this place has an amazing view

I gathered and dropped off donations for the Helping Hands food pantry and for the Sunrise Shelter…with money being beyond tight, every little bit helps…if you do not have time to drop your donation off leave it with me and I will see they get it…Helping Hands can use donations of food or Store gift cards…people are hurting and a little goes a long way right now…Sunrise Shelter could use diapers…young women from every race color and creed use this place…so if you have extra, please donate- clothes, hair product, etc…things you would need if you had to leave everything behind…also any old cell phones as they are refurbished for emergency purposes for these women…
 
As Hurricane Sandy battered the east coast, I ran up to Crystal River…It was my thought that 2 Notch should be there by now and I wanted to make sure she got there okay…I was blessed when the owner of Crystal River Kayaks loaned me a kayak to paddle out to check on my friend…I did not find her at the 3 Sister’s Springs, but I did paddle out some and then saw the snorkel people…I quietly paddled around the dive boats…Suddenly, the familiar tap on the bottom of the boat made me giggle…It was then I understood she wanted out of there, so I headed for open area where she could avoid the scene…In open water she swam beside me for a while until it was time for me to go…I told her that I would be back soon and asked her to wait there for me…
 
 
Whenever I travel through Homosassa, I like to stop in at Emily’s Family Restaurant…My waitress was even dressed as a girly pirate…The food was great as always- love this place…For the second year in a row Deb (the owner) is standing behind the paddle…I am always impressed by how many women in her own area she has helped- directly and personally…
 
 


Chris has just finished the artwork for The Sun Ray Paddle in Pasco and is helping put together the forms we will use for the paddle…I have finally got the website caught up…I am more amazed everyday with the number of women (young and old) that send me their ‘girly pirate pictures’…it is truly humbling...
 
 

Someone asked ‘why would you take on so much work?’… I turned and asked ‘When did responsibility become a dirty word?’…to make time to help the community in some way is the ‘civic responsibility’ of each member of that community…it is sad when some people think they are above that- the sad truth is, that just means someone else will need to carry their own weight plus yours if you choose not to help…I am at a point, I can still carry my own weight and refuse to shame myself or my family by not doing so…one should do what is right whenever given the option or opportunity…

May the current push you along the river to the ocean…

 

Captain D

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment