Saturday, October 13, 2012

Paddle Excitement


Gather the Crew,

I have started training again- back to boot camp…a busy few weeks has pumped the blood back into me:)…so much news to share with you…first- I would like to thank the many Girly Pirates and their Moms’ for the very awesome pics…please keep sending them…I do treasure each one
 
I am starting to work my float plan for the Sunshine Paddle in April of 2014 that will go from Gamble Rodgers State Park on the east coast of Florida, up the Atlantic, until I reach Wiscasset, Maine…I will post an approximate plan next month…I am very excited about this…if you have any ideas, equipment or thoughts- as long as they are constructive, I am willing to listen, try or talk about it…I will need hotels along this paddle- can anyone find or maybe know of cheap digs along the coast…I am thankful for any and all help

As you know I have been ill, I am feeling better…I am still under doctors care, but have been released to be back on the water…can I get a ‘HELL YA’…as a Captain it is my obligation to my boat and my responsibility to my crew that come before my own personal wants or needs- much like being a parent…I hated being off the water for so long, but being a Captain means doing the right thing even when you don’t want to:(…thank you all for the encouragement and healing energy
 
Many of you have heard me speak about school…I have been working hard and it has paid off…I now have a Bachelor of Science Degree in Alternative Medicine…the actual degree came in the mail- it did not seem real until I saw the paper with my name on it…I always dreamed one day- that day is here and now…have faith and believe in your dreams! I am currently working on my Masters…

Okay…the Pasco County Sun Pay Paddle is being set up for April 13, 2013…this will be set up for all skill levels to enjoy…newbies’ will  have fun safe areas to learn…for the medium  and advanced, it will go south down the Gulf of Mexico coast for about 15 miles with rest areas set up every 5 miles…At the suggestion of County Commissioner Pat Mulieri, I got an appointment with the head of Parks on October 15, I will be meeting with Fred Buckman the head of Parks and Recreation of Pasco County to discuss where would be the best start and stop- this way we get the best paddle and least damage to the animals…this is a great paddle and a great place to see amazing amounts of wildlife…I will also be speaking to Pastor Scott of Atonement Church as they have a kayaking group that has been full of good ideas…Chris Bilton is putting together the artwork, I am lucky…I am open to suggestions and thoughts, feel free to call or e-mail me your ideas…the entrance fee will help Sunrise of Pasco…because this is a family event- if you cannot afford the entrance fee please let us know and we will take care of you…I am putting together a hotel list- close by paddle areas and affordable…I am doing the same for restaurants…for those coming from out of the state or out of the country- currently I am putting together rental yaks and a truck or two with kayak racks…lots of great stuff happening there…if you are a vendor and wish to be part of the paddle please let me know
 
My first paddle back, I was so happy…as the boat cuts the water the world around you changes…it is a view that very few can see…I do not believe it is something you can take for granted…as I paddled my way around, many of the animals came up to say hi…after a little more than an hour, 2 notch the manatee showed up, paddling beside her is like most people who go running with their friends…she communicates very well even though she never uses words…she is on the way to Crystal River…I told her I would be up to see her soon…

 
Taylor my Videographer and Computer Guru and I were looking at my pics talking about my workouts and the amount of wildlife that I get to see in its natural habitat…we thought it would be fantastic if we could share this…we thought it would be great to do a show on the paddle and everything leading up to it…I have my fingers crossed as we will be pitching the idea in the next 2 weeks to Animal Planet…we already have the camera equipment because of the paddle…I am a little nervous…please send all positive energy our way

 

May the wind fill your sails and head you to warmer waters…

You Captain and Girly Pirate,

D

No comments:

Post a Comment